Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Episode 31: Christmas




Episode 31: Christmas
Hosts: Frank Shaw and John Belliston
Produced by Hobos in the Back Row
Scripting by Frank Shaw and John Belliston
Edited by: Frank Shaw
Graphic Design by: Nathan Newell
Intro Music: Piano Sonata mvnt 1 by F.G. Shaw
Outro Music: Piano Sonata mvnt 3 by F.G. Shaw

Here it is! The notes for the Christmas episode. John and I [Frank] mostly wax nostalgic about Christmases past. Neither one of us are particularly festive any more, but at one time we were kids and there were some Christmas movies that we really liked. There were Christmas traditions we really liked as well. So this episode we talk about that... and John Talks about Terraria again. He also chats a bit about an Icelandic book of spells he acquired. 

First up John's book of Icelandic Spells. Or, the Sorcerers Screed as it's actually called. Yep, that link will take you to a page where it's for sale. The book itself is interesting (I've looked at it) in that it was compiled by Christians (monks?) so while there's references to Thor and Odin through the text (as well as other Heathen gods) some of the commentary also references church bells, angels and Christ. Not something most people would want on their shelf, but for those that are curious, historically inclined, or practitioners of spiritual Magic it may be worth a look. 



Here's a Christmas Story! I loved this movie as a kid. It's one of the films my father really enjoyed so it brings back some good memories when I watched it with him. 

And Christmas Vacation: Another movie I watched with my father. This one we would watch nearly every year after it was released. Which sadly wasn't as many times as you'd think. The movie still makes me laugh to this day. 

John had three movies, 2 from his childhood and one that he just watched this past holiday season. 

First up The Muppet Christmas Carol. I can't talk much about this one. I love (admittedly) the story of the Christmas Carol and have since I was a kid, it's been a very long time since I've seen this film. 

Next The Santa Clause. Now I didn't see this initially until about 6 years after it first released, once it began to get play on cable. I wasn't impressed with my initial viewing but over the years the movie has grown on me. 

Finally, John watched Hogfather for the first time this year. I have yet to see it, you can hear him talk about it in the episode, but he really liked it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment